Student Information

This section provides important information related to studying and living in the United Kingdom, as well as other useful resources.

The Student Info section provides ADP and MOI sponsored-students with the following information:


Studying in the UK

International students heading to Britain for a quality education will have the chance to experience another culture, perfect their language skills and gain an internationally recognized qualification.

A UK education gives you an amazing opportunity to choose from a variety of degree programs. Whether you choose to study for a PhD, MSc, BSc or foundation degree, you'll learn to think for yourself and work independently. Additionally while you're here, you'll also absorb the English language, the world's most important business language; whilst being part of a truly international community (More Info)


Study methods in the UK

This guidance notes the "Teaching and Learning” methods used in UK institutions (colleges and universities). There are a great number of different courses and institutions in the UK. The teaching methods used and the skills you need will vary, depending on the subject you study and the institution you attend.

More information on UK Study methods visit our Help and Support page


Academic Success

The “Academic Success” section provides information on how to improve academic performance and the consequence of unsatisfactory academic progress.

Unsatisfactory Academic Progress

Students are expected to maintain good academic standing throughout the entire period of enrolment at their university. Typically, this means maintaining a minimum passing grade or higher for each enrolled academic semester. However, each university has its own specific definition of what good academic standing means relative to their grading system. Thus, it is the student’s responsibility to refer to and follow the university’s policies regarding exact passing grade.


Academic Warning

  • An academic warning letter from the ADP GHQ will be sent to students whose term grades are below the minimum passing grade. The letter serves as a warning to avoid against having a second failure within the next term and it can ultimately result in loss of the student’s scholarship.
  • The university may also have a policy of placing such students under probation for poor Academic grades.
  • The academic warning is not a punishment, but rather a warning that the student’s good academic standing is at risk and so is his/her scholarship.
  • Students should NOT IGNORE academic warnings. Students must regard academic warnings from their University Academic Department and the ADP GHQ as equally important and take action if they receive either or both warnings.


How to Improve Academically?

When receiving an academic warning students should not panic or feel depressed; but instead, should take charge of the situation. The university has many resources to utilize to ensure students’ academic success and eventual graduation. Many of these resources are free and available on campus for students throughout the academic year. However, it must be strongly noted that students should NEVER resort to committing academic dishonesty in their effort to raise their Academic Grades to maintain good academic standing. ACADEMIC DISHONESTY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. The following points give suggestions for what students should do to improve academically:

  • Schedule an advising session with University Academic Advisor
  • Make use of the Free Academic resources on campus
  • Contact your Sponsored Academic Advisor


Student Forms

Sponsered students may download, print and fill out forms. Our E-services provides a number of benefits to ease the flow of communication and interaction between the Police attaché and students. (Download Forms)


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are listed questions to help students find answers to those questions.

FAQs provide ADP and MOI students with important information related to studying and living in the United Kingdom as well as other useful resources. (FAQ Page)


International student accommodation in the UK

There are two main choices for international student accommodation halls of residence or private flats and houses. Your options depend on your UK study choice and the institution you apply to, but here are some things to consider in choosing a great place to live

More information on Student Accommodation visit our Help and Support page


Opening a Bank Account

You should be able to open a ‘basic bank account’ with a number of different banks. A ‘basic bank account’ provides easy access to banking facilities for adults in the UK. Additionally, some banks offer a bank account tailored specifically for your needs as an international student.

Once you have chosen your prefer bank and bank account, you will need to visit the local branch and provide some documents. Please check with your chosen bank what they require, but usually you need to provide the following as a minimum:

  • Your passport with student visa
  • A letter from your university/college/school confirming your UK study details OR
  • A ‘Letter of Introduction for UK Banking Facilities’ which your university/college/school will complete to show your UK study details.

Once you have opened a bank account in the UK, always let your bank know in writing and as soon as possible if you change your address.

For more information visit:


Registering with the UK Police

Once you have arrived to the UK on a Student visa you are required to register with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK, unless your college or university has made special arrangements for new students to register outside this 7-day deadline.

For more information visit: Register with the UK Police


Registering with the NHS

NHS in England provides most common medical services such as emergency and urgent care, general practitioners (GPs) or dental services. To access the National Health Service you must firstly, register with a Doctor. Doctors in the United Kingdom have catchment areas. When you go to register with a Doctor it is a good idea to take your student ID card along with proof of where you live. You will be asked to fill in some forms.

Once you have registered with a Doctor you will be send an NHS card. This is your proof that you are registered for NHS treatment. Keep your card in a safe place and take it with you if you visit your Doctor, Dentist or Hospital.

More information on the NHS visit our Help and Support page